Thursday, March 25, 2010

Girls and their Daddies

I lost my father to cancer at the age of 9. I have very fond memories of him and how he treated me. I can remember him always having the time when I wanted him or needed to talk to him about something, no matter how silly it was at my young age... Some of my special memories are him taking me to the Saturday Flea Market and always buying me a cheap birthstone ring I wanted, buying and fixing my bike when it broke, eating peanut butter with me on a spoon at wee hours in the mornings while watching a Western on TV, taking me to numerous baseball games that my nephews were playing in, and taking me to Disneyland, and the list could go on.


So today I was reading LifeInGrace and she had a post about her girls and their daddy. I decided to write one similar. 

Having shared about my short experience with my own father I couldn't help but think of Sophie and her own daddy. They have a wonderful relationship. As much as I hate to admit it she prefers him over me most of the time. He is so patient with her and I have yet to see him get annoyed with the attention that she so desires. Believe it or not she prefers him to go to the bathroom with her (she has major BM issues...still, and needs a lot of moral support. smile.) For some reason she thinks he is much more supportive than I... perhaps because I rush her at times, shame on me. Sophie likes to do anything and everything with him, from riding in the his truck over my car, sitting by him at dinner, and even "working" on household projects... It really is a wonderful thing for me to see. I am so blessed to have a husband who is fulfilling this role.

     Perhaps I will write more later on Mothers and their Sons...

3 comments:

Kayla said...

Very sweet story. I love it when my kids prefer their daddy over me! It gives me a break :)

Lori Zimbelman said...

Beautiful blog Michelle. As you know I felt the exact same way with my Dad. I miss talking with him, hugging him, and as Hailey, the twin in Parent Trap, said "just miss calling him dad." S

OK Chick said...

Sweet story. Thanks for sharing.