Saturday, November 6, 2010

What does it mean to live simple?

This is such a broad topic! The first thing that comes to mind is simplifying my home. Less stuff to be exact.  Less clutter. Being a good steward of money.  Making use of what we can. Minimizing waste.  Yes, it borders on the movement of  "Being Green".  I believe it is important to be mindful of all the things I've listed.

But before all of these things I have learned that "living simple" can, if I choose, afford me the opportunity and privilege to lead a more Christ centered life.  I am guilty of always rushing around, especially rushing my kids. That is not simple.  I have been working really hard to minimize distractions or in my eyes "living simply" so that I can praise God, pray, study the Bible, and share these things with my family.  I have had to remind myself that: my children do not have to be involved in a sport each season, it is OK to make a mess... a big mess to do a craft with my daughter,  I should sit to nurse instead of trying to multitask and wash dishes while doing so, it's OK to take a nap, the laundry can wait- as long as we have clean underwear :) , and the list can go on.  Letting go of these things or better yet succumbing to some of them has helped me to have a clearer mind.  So for me "living simple" means not over commiting, learning to say no, and consuming and buying less therefore I have less to take care of.  It takes effort! 

What does it mean to you to "live simple"?

No comments: