Saturday, April 18, 2009

A memorable Saturday

Today started out as many Saturday's do for us. My son had 2 basketball games this morning. Following the games we ate lunch with our family. That is always enjoyable. We are very open around each other which makes for a wild and crazy time. Sometimes we get some looks, but we just chuckle.

Following lunch we headed home. I was dreading doing the laundry that has piled up since our dryer is not working (getting fixed Monday). I had already loaded 4 baskets of clothes in to my van, in hopes that I would make it to the laundromat sometime today. Sophie and David fell asleep on the couch and Davis and I headed to Walmart. After that stop I mentioned we would be going to do the laundry... he wanted to be taken home. I offered to get some ice cream if he would come to help. Little did he know we would be there over three hours.

I grew up going to the laundromat, nothing new to me. For him,however, it was all new. He ended up loading washers, loading dryers, checking for damp clothes, transferring damp clothes, folding, and loading the HEAVY baskets back in to the van. I was sooooo impressed. It was a very creative way for us to bond, even though it took a little bribing. It would have been much harder without him. At the end when I was sorting and matching socks I encouraged him to sit down and rest. He was kind enough to say " you haven't taken a break so I shouldn't take a break". If you know my little son he is typically dry and matter of fact, this was one of the sweetest things he has said to me in a long time. I never anticipated what I felt or experienced today. It was a very special time.

It is so amazing what happens when people work together side by side for a common goal. It provides so many different opportunities to grow closer. As touched as I was I am not sure I will ever be able to get him to go again :)

Tomorrow we have the chore of putting all those clothes away, work never ends....

4 comments:

Jason and Lisa said...

I thought I'd stop by and look at your blog since you put it on facebook. This was an encouraging story. Sometimes, moms go through a lot of emotional roller coasters and these things are such sweet treasures that are worth all the hard work and even the bribery. I am glad you have done so well in life and have a happy family.
Lisa Ward

Amy said...

Michelle: That was so sweet to hear your laundromat story. I was doing that not long ago when our dryer broke. I did not know that Joy was moving to Okla.! Mom has not mentioned it but I have not been home in a while. That will be great for you guys! I met Elizabeth through your blog!She seems really sweet. Will went out in the high jump on 6'8". I think he will get it in the next two meets. We are having fun watching him. Wish David could come and coach him up a little higher! I love keeping up with you guys on your blog. Blessings! Amy

Donnetta said...

Words of wisdom, Michelle. We can turn the most mundane tasks into positive experiences if we hang in there together.

I had washer troubles this week but I think the problem is resolved. Machine must have gotten off balance and water leaked from around the drum. Just finished cleaning the carpet where it was wet. Yuck.

Cherish those happy moments. Gone in the blink of an eye. D

Melinda said...

Hey, just wanted to stop by and answer your question: we are now attending the Weatherford Church of Christ. It is definitely more of a drive ut well worth every mile!