Sunday, January 18, 2009

Simple Entertainment

This morning at church I had the privilege of hearing a wonderful sermon by Jeff McMillon. One of the highlights of his lesson focused on our emphasis put on entertainment. These days we are not easily entertained and often seek out the most extravagant forms of entertainment. I so agreed with his examples. I can't say I have not fallen in to this way of thinking but I do have strong opinions about overspending on lavish excursions over and over...Part of my opinions are based on frugal ways of thinking. Don't misunderstand me; I do think it is good and important to vacation with family. I just think that all to often over indulgence is taking place.

So my intentions of this post is to hear what others are doing for entertainment with their families. What do you do that is simple and memorable with your loved ones?

As for our family we have done many "simple" things to have fun! Here is a small list.
1.Read together
2.Sleep overs
3.Karaoke
4.Make desserts
5.Camp outs (my son has done this the last 2 years for b-day, it was less than $50, and very memorable)
6.Slept out on trampoline
7.drive out to Pops
8.visit Oklahoma attractions (we love Roman Nose State Park)
9.Go to the dog park
10. Visit a family who has farm animals (this has included gathering eggs, and holding baby kids (goats :))
11. Attended concerts in the park
12. Volunteered at outdoor theatre and received free tickets for admission (Summerstock in Edmond during summer)
13. Block parties
14. attended several county fairs and went to 4-H competitions

There are many more but 14 is our family number so I'll stop there.

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

The first thing that came to my mind was a "Bag o'burgers" at Braums and a rental movie!

Many places have a free or reduced admission price day offered occasionally and I have always taken it upon myself as a frugal Mom to find out what those are...

~Sandy said...

Just stopping by to say hello. Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and for leaving a comment. It's always fun finding who my visitors are.I always wonder as I see my counter go up, but most never let you know they visit...so thanks for taking the time.
This is my first visit to your blog and I've just started reading:) It sounds like you are on a good road to healing. I wish you all the very best and a ull recovery.
I also added myself to your followers list. I look forward to getting to know you and your wonderful family. God bless you.
Hugs, sandy