Monday, December 22, 2008

I've recently been diagnosed...

with Celiac Disease! I just got the call today. Over the last year I have had numerous stomach problems, and I will spare you the details. Last Sunday night/Monday I had yet another "episode" as I call them. I missed the 6th day of school this year. I was fed up! I called the Dr. and was seen Monday afternoon. After several tests including the panel that is sent to an out of state lab I finally got the call that I tested positive. I still have several more tests to go, from what I understand.

I'm a little sad, overwhelmed, and relieved. The gluten-free diet is going to be very difficult and expensive. The gluten-free diet is the only way to stop the symptoms and reverse the effects of Celiac Disease. I know I have so much to learn!I'm sure I will have more posts related to this topic.

Below is a brief description from one of the sites I have been reading:


Celiac Disease (CD) is a lifelong, digestive disorder affecting children and adults. When people with CD eat foods that contain gluten, it creates an immune-mediated toxic reaction that causes damage to the small intestine and does not allow food to be properly absorbed. Even small amounts of gluten in foods can affect those with CD and cause health problems. Damage can occur to the small bowel even when there are no symptoms present.

Gluten is the common name for the proteins in specific grains that are harmful to persons with celiac disease. These proteins are found in ALL forms of wheat (including durum, semolina, spelt, kamut, einkorn and faro) and related grains rye, barley and triticale and MUST be eliminated.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Wow--I'm so sorry! I know a friend of a friend who has it too..not fun! But at least you can deal with it with diet and all. Getting older is no fun! I've only had problem after problem since my gallbladder was removed...so I feel for you!!!

Mandy said...

That stinks! I've been following this blog for a while and she cooks gluten free.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Chellie said...

That stinks. Welcome to the digestive disorder club... I just found out last year I have Crohn's Disease, so I definitely feel your digestive pain.

Dawn said...

I'm sorry! Ugh! Our associate pastor was diagnosed with that a few years ago. He's done so much better since changing his diet though.