Monday, November 17, 2008

I'll Huff and I'll Puff and I won't Blow your house down...

Over the years (the last 10) I have researched various ways to live more simply. At times being obsessive about it. I have several books to prove it. The Internet has also been a valuable source. Having done all this I am sad to say we still have debt...that is not going anywhere. After many discussions we are considering selling our home and renting (an apartment most likely) for a year or two to free up some much needed cash flow. We are still not sure due to the economy and real estate market right now. It will all be in God's hands.

Following this financial decision our goal is to build a home. Our goal is also to do it with as little money as possible...that is what leads to the title of my post. We are very interested in straw bale homes. Yes, they are made of "hay bails", and then plastered/stuccoed over. They can be very simple to very extravagant...we of course will lean towards the simple ones. There are awesome books on this structure if you are at all interested in having a look for yourself, here is a link to get you started (strawbale.com) One of the things I like most is the energy efficiency of these homes. I would love to be able to cut our heat/air bill in half! There are other homes that we are considering as well, such as a metal building. The possibilities are endless I guess, when it comes to building. Doing it on a tight budget will be a long ride I'm sure! Please keep us in your prayers as we embark on yet another adventure!

No comments: